The best travel car seat for a 5 year old is one that is light and easy to install. It should also be comfortable and have a good safety rating. When you’re in the market for a new car seat for your 5-year-old, you’ll want to consider how simple it is to assemble and use the car seat.
One way to make this easier is by getting a car seat with features such as built-in LATCH connectors, which allow you to attach the car seat without using a vehicle’s safety belt system. Secondly, you need to think about protecting your child if an accident occurs. And the last thing is your budget. Once you know about these features, it will be easy to find the right match.
This section will provide information on the best travel car seats for a 5 year old.
List of 7 best travel car seat for a 5 year old
Britax Grow 5 year old car seat with cup holder
Parents can keep their children safe as they grow with the Britax Grow With You ClickTight harness-2-booster car seat. While this seat comes at a premium price, it provides top safety features. Parents will save money in the long run by switching from a forward-facing harness to a booster seat.
Can use the car seat forward-facing from 25-65 lbs (11.3 kg to 29.4 kg). In addition, can adjust the harness height to fit growing boys and girls. When children are ready for a booster, the seat converts to a high-back booster with a 22″ belt path height. Britax’s goal is to provide parents with a long-term safe solution for children up to 120 lbs (54.4 kgs).
Aside from the side impact protection and ClickTight installation, the Britax Grow with You is equipped with plenty of safety features. Your child will be comfortable with a quick-adjust harness and buckle as well as a multi-position recline.
In this car seat, parents like switching from harness to booster mode without removing the harness. You can quickly change back to the straps in the harnessed mode by tucking the belts into a pocket within the seat. You can use this function even if you have more than one child.
Parents also appreciate the fact that they can remove the cover without removing the seat. Your seat can easily be slipped off, cleaned, and reinstalled without removing it from the car.
- A variety of safety features
- The weight limit is high
- Built-in cup holders and storage
- Booster switch harness easy to attach
- ClickTight Installation
- Compared with other models, it is heavier
- Straps can be challenging to tighten sometimes
- Three seats across are not easily compatible with a bulky
I have never seen a car seat so well-designed before, with so many features to suit an active family. The quality is unmatched, and I am not surprised that Britax is one of the most popular brands on the market.
Evenflo Symphony DLX All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, Paramount
Safest car seat for five year old
In addition to several user-friendly features, the Evenflo Platinum Series Symphony DLX All-in-One Convertible Car Seat offers safety and comfort in one convenient package.
Car seats for kids weighing five to 110 pounds usually have lots of features parents appreciate, such as temperature-regulated fabrics and harnesses that adjust without rethreading.
As with all Evenflo seats, the lower anchor system features the patented SureLATCH system that automatically tightens when attached to your vehicle’s anchors, so it eliminates the difficulty of tightening the UAS (Universal Anchor System) straps. It has everything a baby needs for comfort, from a painless installation process to plush padding.
Evenflo Platinum Series Symphony DLX was among the car seats we tested that have been crash tested, and Transport Canada and Health Canada have approved them for use in Canada.
Due to the rigorous testing that car seats must undergo before being approved for use, we assessed each seat based on its quality of materials, comfort, ease of installation, and value for money.
- A tight fit is easier and faster with SureLATCH
- No rethreading harness and one-hand adjustment of headrest for long-term safety and comfort
- Cooling fabric and buckle pockets for hot weather
- Install correctly with free video support
- Awarded FAA approval
- The product may not be durable enough to last for eight years or all child sizes
The Evenflo Platinum Series Symphony DLX All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, with its SureLATCH connectors and temperature-regulating fabric, was a great choice among all parent testers. The parents rated the seat’s ease of use and quality as excellent, and they would not hesitate to recommend it to other parents.
GRACO Nautilus 65 LX 3-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat, with cup holder
5-point harness car seat for 5 year old
The Graco Nautilus has an energy-absorbing EPS foam frame covered in steel reinforcement. The edge and construction of the seat are big and sturdy, even though it is a convertible seat. Several positions of the Nautilus seat allow for a comfortable and tight fit in some vehicles.
As a forward-facing harness, this car seat is used by parents in the first stage. It can safely transport Children from 22 to 65 pounds in this forward-facing harness seat. As your child matures, you can move to the second stage of this car seat, which turns into a high-back belt-positioning booster.
Booster seats use the car seat belt to buckle the child in safely. They also provide a backrest to guide the seat belt appropriately. In the third stage, a Graco Nautilus booster seat can support children between 40 and 100 lbs. in the third stage. By this age, the child is likely to buckle into the booster seat.
The car seat is comfortable for children, with good padding. Parents can get the perfect fit for their growing children with five adjustable positions. Thanks to Graco’s No-Rethread Simply Safe Adjust Harness, adjusting the headrest also adjusts the harness height.
It helps reduce the risk of installation errors, one of the leading causes of car seat failure, by not requiring parents to rethread the harness.
- Three-in-one seat that can be used backward, forwards, and as a booster to fit a wide range of ages and sizes
- Steel construction ensures durability
- The price is reasonable and affordable
- The seat pad is washable
- Converts easily between stages
- Simulations of real-life crashes performed well
- Adjustable headrest in 5 positions
- Expiration in 10 years
- Bulky and heavy
- The bottom is hard and plastic
- The crotch buckle is awkward
- Some bucket seats don’t fit well
- You may have trouble tightening the harness
With this car seat installed correctly, parents can rest assured that their children will be comfortable and safe from toddlers to teenagers.
It is one of the longest-lasting car seats on the market for families looking for a single car seat.
Graco TranzitionsHarness Booster Seat 3-in-1 with cup holder
Best car seat for five-year-old with harness
Car seats for children up to 22lbs are available in the Tranzitions line. In general, it is recommended that children stay in their rear-facing car seats until they are two or reach the height or weight limits of the seat. Therefore, we do not recommend placing your child in this seat upon reaching 22lbs unless they meet those other criteria.
The seat converts easily between a harness booster, a high back booster, and a backless booster. It has Graco’s patent-pending Safe Adjust Harness System, which can adjust both harness and headrest without rethreading.
In addition to harness covers, a washable seat pad, two removable cup holders, and a body insert, the Tranzitions seat has many great features. It will be more convenient for your child to commute with a harness cover, and the cup holders will help relieve mid-ride stress about snacks and drinks.
The Tranzitions do not disappoint when it comes to safety. In addition to being tested beyond industry and government standards, it also undergoes side-impact testing to ensure your child’s protection in case of an accident. Despite its lightweight design, this seat is highly safe for your child. In addition, it has open-loop belt guides to help you correctly position your seat belts during installation.
- Trendy colors
- 8-position headrest
- A washable seat pad, harness cover, and body pillow
- Converts easily between modes
- Having a narrow profile
- Manual unclear
- Unexpected detachment of the seatback may occur
- Cannot push on connectors
- No manual or harness storage
- It is not easy to install in all vehicles
I purchased the Graco Tranzitions 3 in 1 car seat for my five-year-old. He is a rather large boy, but the seat can still accommodate him, as he can raise his headrest to 17″ high. I was also impressed by how simple it was to install. I love to recommend it to all parents.
Chicco KidFit Zip Plus 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat with cup holder
Best car seat with zip plus
From the KidFit booster seat, the KidFit Zip provides an upgrade. In both cases, the belt-positioning booster seats are two-in-one. Both seats can accommodate children up to 57 inches tall. On these seats, you’ll find the SuperCinch Latch Installation that makes installation a snap.
Moreover, these seats have adjustable headrests and backrests, lacking in other belt-positioning booster seats. It is possible to adjust the seat to fit the car properly each time. Can also remove the cup holders
You will find a Zip and Wash feature that allows you to zip off the seat pads before washing them. You will be able to modify their color later on.
A layer of ErgoBoost Foam Padding is also added to the KidFit Zip, which is absent in the KidFit version. In addition to the two removable cup holders, Chicco has incorporated a kid’s console. On long trips, you can store toys or snacks in the console. The best part is placing the console on either side of the seat.
- With ten adjustable back heights, this chair can fit a wide range of ages and sizes
- Kids can easily buckle it, and it is easy to install
- Converts easily to a backless booster
- It reclines in two positions for a variety of vehicle seat angles
- Seat pads and armrest covers that can be machine washed
- Cup holders that are removable, collapsible, and dishwasher safe
- Choose from 8 attractive colors
- Listed as a Best Bet by IIHS
- Some cars may not work well with LATCH attachments
- Even when not in use, the seatbelt is needed to secure the seat in high back mode
- Hard to move or unmovable headrests may prevent proper fit
- The product is manufactured in China
- It may feel flimsy when carrying or rattle when unused
- Pricey compared to competitors
This Chicco booster seat is designed for comfort and safety first, with some nice extras to make car rides enjoyable. It’s not the cheapest of comparable seats, but with its excellent ratings and zero recalls, it’s probably worth spending a little extra to know your child is in a safe booster seat.
Britax Highpoint 2-Stage Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat with cup holder
Best high back and backless booster seat
Britax has a reputation for high safety, so it isn’t surprising that their 2-stage highpoint is highly rated.
There are many reasons why belt-positioning booster car seats are so popular. With its ability to quickly and easily convert from a high back seat to a backless booster, it can grow with your child. The headrest has ten height positions to ensure your child is seated correctly before driving.
You can also make it comfortable for your child with two dishwasher-safe cup holders, armrests, and comfortable padding and fabric. Using the SecureGuardTM clip, you can help your child transition from a harnessed car seat to a booster, giving them a grown-up feel while giving you peace of mind that they are as safe as possible.
- In addition to the stylish, soft, and breathable seat. You can easily wash the cover.
- As one of the top brands for safety, Britex offers many safety features on this seat, including three layers of side impact protection, a lap belt-positioning clip, and color-coded belt guides.
- In addition to the style of the seat and to provide you with additional options, it is available in two colors: Asher (grey) and Seaglass (blue).
- There are also cons to this booster seat, including its price; other similar models are available from other more affordable brands. Britax makes sturdy seats, so this one comes out heavier than others.
- It is easy to convert the high-back seat into a backless seat, but some users have noted that it required quite a bit of force, and they were afraid it would break (although it did not).
In our opinion, the Britax Highpoint is one of the best. There are many high back boosters available on the market. It modified the LATCH attachment design to make the booster seat safe and comfortable.
Maxi-Cosi Rodi Sports Booster Car Seat, Midnight Black with cup holder
Best car seat for kids five
Now you can have all the safety & convenience you want for your growing family with the Maxi-Cosi Rodi Sports Booster! Starting at 40 lbs, this seat can be used as a belt-positioning booster with removable back support. At 50 kg, it converts to a high-back booster with a rigid LATCH attachment for a secure and straightforward install. Or use the seat as either form of booster for children.
It also has easy-to-use shoulder and lap belt guides to help keep the belt properly positioned.
Despite being lightweight and very sturdy, the Maxi-Cosi Rodi Sports Booster Car Seat is very light in weight. Within two minutes, I was able to take everything out of the box and assemble it. I love the Polished Pebble color, and it matches my light color leather chair so well.
My kids are starting to outgrow their car seats, and their pediatrician suggests they use the simple booster and keep using the back support straps. I am delighted with this booster seat, as this is my third Maxi Cosi car seat. They are over six years old and 60 pounds.
Maxi Cosi is always a good choice. I recommend it.
- Easy to install
- Great booster
- Ideal for long legs
- Safety oriented car seat
- Easy to clean
- Weird smell
I’ve tried out a lot of car seats, and by far, Maxi-Cosi Rodi Sport has been my favorite. It’s comfortable for longer rides, especially with the head cushions – my kids love it! The installation is easy, and I like that it’s effortless to adjust.
Buying guide: the best car seat for five-year-old
What to Know Before You Buy
Know your child. Measure your child’s height and weight, so you’ll know what seat size to get and when it’s time to upgrade. You should also look into any behavioral or health concerns.
• Know your stores: We’ve found that cushion angle or seat belt placement are factors that can make a car and child seat incompatible, which is why some retailers let you test-install a seat in your car. Stores that accept returns are also a must. Target and Walmart are large department stores with a limited selection of products in-store and an even more comprehensive selection available online. Many online retailers, including Albee Baby, Amazon, Buy Buy Baby, and Diapers.com, offer seats from even more brands and models. Most retailers usually provide free shipping. Never buy online before seeing the product first-hand. High-end models can be found in specialty stores and boutiques.
• Know your car: Consult your owner’s manual for information about child safety, and familiarize yourself with features such as belts, LATCH, and seats.
Know about fabric
Five-year-olds are known for their naiveté. There will be messes and accidents from time to time. Therefore, it’s good to know how easy it is to clean them ahead of time.
Can wash all of the above by removing the covers. Only the Clek can be spot cleaned.
Make sure your child is safe in these five ways
According to NHTSA and field studies, car seats, booster seats, and seat belts are misused between 74 and 90 percent of the time. Yes, you read that correctly; most child seats are not installed properly. Follow these steps:
Right seat: Be sure to check the seat’s weight and height limits (see the timeline above). In addition to age, your child’s skeletal development is also affected by it.
Seat tight: Seats should not shift by more than 1-inch side to side or front to back after installation. Don’t get discouraged if this is challenging.
Harness height: The harness straps are placed at or below your baby’s shoulders when installed rear-facing. When a child is forward-facing, harness straps should reach their shoulders. The chest clip should sit beneath the armpits.
Harness tight: When your child is secured correctly, you should not pinch any fabric on the straps at the child’s shoulders.
Last check: Tether tight and recline right.
For rear-facing seats, check the recline angle (most have an indicator) to prevent the child’s head from falling forward and controlling breathing.
When using a forward-facing seat with a LATCH system or seat belt, permanently attach and tighten the top rope to prevent forward movement, which could lead to a head injury.
Frequently asked questions
We hope this article will help you choose the best car seat for a five-year-old child. There are many car seats to decide from, with different features and prices. We provided you with some helpful tips on picking the best baby seat for your family’s needs.
The following article presents an overview of some of the most popular types of car seats found on the market today; we also provide an overview of some essential features for parents to consider when buying a new car seat. So hurry up; there is limited stock available.